Tuesday, October 28, 2014

I.D.

The main thing I took away from class yesterday is that A.) there is no one way to define identity and B.) we all have different identities we want people to see.

It's hard to determine exactly what the main definition of identity is. However, when I look up identity in a dictionary in my house, it says "condition or character as to who a person or what a thing is" but it also lists the synonyms as "uniqueness, individuality, and personality." Yet, it seems like even though the synonyms define it as a personal label, identity always seems to relate to how someone else defines us. It's something that seems contradictory. 

Like we mentioned in class, it all comes down to labels. How we label ourselves and how other identify someone else. I usually identify people with visuals. I don't mean to, I'm just really bad with names. I always say that I may know you but I can't remember who you are. Usually I'm talking about names is what I'm forgetting. 

Yesterday during class, all I could think about once we discussed identity is how other people identify or "label" me. What identities do they see or register with me? Is it the one I want?

Also, I learned Bailey (Baleigh, Baylee, Bailee, ...?) is basic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment