Tuesday, September 9, 2014

How To Determine Value

The thing most I take away from yesterday's class was the question "how do we determine value?" And it became evident that the class determines value in a variety of ways. For me, I don't believe that value is physically obtainable. I think it's something that we mentally obtain.

Let me explain, because I probably sound crazy.

I believe that people don't actually value a physical object for what it is, but the memories or meaning that it holds. When I blogged about last weeks class takeaway, I mentioned how when I go to movies, I don't actually mind if the movie was terrible or not, but rather enjoy the time I spend with the people I go with. The movie, in all its entirety, holds no value me. However, when I see it at Walmart or Target, I'll remember the people I went with and the time we spent together, for that, I will enjoy the movie and that holds the value. I think it also relates to the classmate that mentioned nostalgia. Nostalgia is a memory, and that's where we hold the value, not in the object itself. It brings back the feelings. It's similar to how people mention that their favorite flower brings back memories, i.e. "my favorite flowers are roses, because when I smell them, it reminds me of my mom."

Another good example, I cant remember her name sadly, but I read about a model who's home was flooded during hurricane Sandy. She talked about how, at first, when she learned her home was flooded she thought "oh my God, I have lost everything. Everything that means anything to me is gone." But she later realized and said "I see now that I haven't actually lost anything. I lost the thing that reminds me of important times in my life, but not the actually meaning behind them." Pretty much, she's talking about the photos (or whatever objects she may be talking about) don't actually hold the value, but the memories behind them. Even if those objects are lost or ruined, the memory still remains because it's permanently archived in your mind. You might lose a physical object, but not the meaning as to why it holds value.

I don't believe you can put a price tag on value. You will be pissed that you pay large amounts of money for textbooks you may not use again after that class. That doesn't have a value in my eyes. It's an object that I use to pass a class. It means nothing more.

No comments:

Post a Comment